August 23, 2011

from USA to New Zealand



 Lets start from the very beginning. A very good place start. – Maria, Sound of Music

As I said goodbye to my family, I was overwhelmed. My dream was becoming a reality. I boarded the airplane filled with joy and excitement.  Dragging my heavy carry on through the tight aisles, I found my seat. Then came the challenge of actually putting the ridiculously heavy carry on into the storage compartment. A kind gentlemen took charge and lifted it into the compartment. On my window seat was a blanket sealed plastic, headphones, and a pillow. I have never been so well greeted on an airplane. “I didn’t need my Snuggie afterall”, I thought to myself.
As the plane rode along the airport, I took one last look at the Bay Area. It hadn’t sunk in till then that I wouldn’t see this place, this country till January 2012!  I was a bit sad, but I shook it off. I was finally, finally, FINALLY leaving! The plane sped  on the tracks and I immediately thought of Toy Story 2 - the part where Woody rescues Jesse.  I always experience the same, thrilling feeling when a plane takes off- similar to the feeling when a rollercoaster is climbing to the top. But  this thrilling feeling was different because I didn’t feel anything. I was completely numb as I stared down at the Bay as it got smaller and smaller. “It’s really happening”. I am leaving. But I still didn’t believe the dream was coming true.

After admiring the clouds below, I fell into a deep slumber. That day, I had only caught  3 hours of sleep collectively. Needless to say, my 14hour flight was a great blessing.

I slept most of the way from San Francisco to Auckland. I did not read any books or letters, listen to my iPod, or watch any of the movies I had packed. The coolest part about my plane ride was Air New Zealand had a vast selection of new movies, music, and TV shows all for no extra charge! If I hadn’t been so tired, I would’ve watched movies all the way to Auckland. I was served great food on the plane (or as great as plane food will ever get). My favourite item was a La Crème strawberry yogurt. It’s Julia’s favourite yogurt and it had become my favourite yogurt too. While, I was enjoying the treat, I reminisced of our afternoons together. I couldn’t believe my time was up and I was in a plane off to a different country. Things happen so fast and it was just a couple of months I had dreamt of being in that plane seat to New Zealand.

We soon approached Auckland. The Pacific Ocean spread out below us like a large blanket. It was a sight to behold. Small white lines hinted of the huge waves below and I couldn’t help but feel anxious.   New Zealand came into sight. First the top islands down to Auckland. Soon, houses and cars appeared . The cars were driving on the left hand side. An odd site. Above, a full moon shone brightly down on the country, lighting the way. The moon looks so different full from an airplane. It’s rounder, if that makes any sense, and brighter. The clouds could not block it. It stood plain in sight.

Now, if movies had scenes about customs, movies would be ridiculously  long.  Worst part about traveling alone back to family is the luggage deal. My mom and I had spent hours upon hours packing and repacking making sure my bags were 50 pounds. I ended up taking two bags that were 50lbs and a 30lb carry on and a skimboard. I saw the trolleys all around but assumed I couldn’t use one because I did not have NZ currency. To my great delight, I discovered that the TROLLEYS WERE FREE!!! Thank the Lord Almighty. I, then, joined the long lines of customs. I spent most of it listening to acoustic music and doing foot exercises I had learned from dance class. Flex and point.  Haha. Finally after getting through, I walked out and saw my aunty and cousin.

Happy and overjoyed to see a familiar face we made our way to my Aunt’s apartment. I took shotgun- on the left side. “WEEEEIIIIIIIIRRDDD”. We drove along the LEFT hand side and honestly, I was very uncomfortable with the whole deal. I glanced at the speedometer and saw the number 90. Immediately I thought, “WHY ARE YOU  GOING 90MPH?!?!” And then I realized it was kilometers! Fun fact- In new Zealand, they call free way- motorway.

Even though I had just slept and not done much, I was still exhausted. I had some delicious stew that my aunt prepared and soon went to sleep for another 5hours.
My last thoughts before crashing again were- YAY! I FINALLY made it to NEW ZEALAND

Kiora (Maori- New Zealand's natives way of saying "be well")n 

2 comments:

  1. AHHHHhhhh girl! That recount was so funny ;) I can just see you trying to fit all your stuff! The 50lb thing is SO HARD! My bag coming home from Penn was 49!!! I was so lucky! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I went on the trip with you; you are so good at writing! Wow how exciting Leita. Miss you girly

    ReplyDelete