October 11, 2011

Wharf America

I am still oblivious as to why it's called "Wharf America", but that's its name. If anyone would like to fill me in, that'd be great.

While we were still in Mu'a, we took a trip downtown. Olivia had classes (even though she was on break- c'mon school system!!!), but after her classes, we went "eva". Eva- translation- exploring.

We walked along the pier and came to Wharf America. (At the time, I did not know it's name so I just called it "the pier the went out". It's actually the only "pier" or as they call it-WHARF, so everyone knew what I was talking about but no one ever bothered informing me of its name. I shouldve just had TOURIST written across my forehead by the way I was referring to things.)

and this brings me to an interesting point. Tongans here dont refer to locations based on street names and sometimes, even the towns. Locations are based on land marks such as: stores (haha yes, a store is a landmark), churches, and government buildings .For example "The place youre looking for is right next to the guitar store and across the bakery". okkkkkk. That's great if I knew where the guitar store and bakery is located. I ask for a street name but that's just pointless because they always say it's off the main road- Taufa'ahau Road. haha. It's taken some time to get use to this sort explanation, but I'm a bit more familiar now with Town, so it's all good.  Also, everyone is always friendly and willing to help me find my destination and most of the time, I'm walking with the relative.


This trip took place on the Friday the Tongan rugby team (Ikale Tahi) played the Canadian rugby team in the Rugby World Cup Tournament. Who knew Canada had a rugby team? haha. 


On Fridays, everyone would dress in Red in support of the Tongan Team "Ikale Tahi". Vehicles would be decked out in red flair and each vehicle was a site to behold.
The Main Market was in full Ikale Tahi Support Spirit with signs and music .

The beautiful, clear, warm, clean (should I go on?) water was so tempting. I didnt plan on swimming, but it was lovely to see.


On the edge of Wharf America. You can see the other group of islands from there. God blessed us with a beautiful day- clear skies, cool air, sunny weather.



Like I said,I wasnt dressed for swimming.But that didnt stop me from dipping my feet.

and who greets me but a pretty blue fish.
I realize I am in a gigantic, fresh water aquarium. =O DREAM COME TRUE!

I am using my handy,dandy underwater camera. such a nice little camera to have.
I highly recommend it. Olympus. (They should be paying me. Free endorsement)

 




Can you see the fish BEHIND the blue fish? I only saw it when I uploaded the picture into my computer! VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY COOL. My cousins and I were amazed. MAJOR CAMOUFLAGE IN ACTION.




















Dory and her twins swimming around.


Lute. She is just so cute. and very funny I might add.


My favourite shot of the day. Olivia and I. 
I love the never ending horizon, our pose, the lighting, and Oli's facial expression. haha.




Tongan Dora the Explorer- equipped with a backpack and a knack for adventure.


Fisherman...he's fishing...


On our way back, I treated all of us to some delicious, freshy, cold coconute juice. Yup. Straight from the Coconut. Then, the coconut is cracked open and the meat inside just tops it off. It's like drinking a really good cup of coffee and then finding a pastry at the bottom of the cup to go with it. God, you are absolutely BRILLIANT and super creative to create such a fruit.



I would like to mention that due to my ignorance of the bus schedule, we missed our bus home. We walked probably about 5miles to Olivia's house, watched the Tongan Team get smacked by the Canadian Team, and then finally made it back to Mu'a. oh- did I mention we walked FIVE miles?!?!?! I've never been so tired of walking. On the bright side, it was great way to see a lot of villages and experience the daily lifestyle of the people.
I'm just glad we made it to Olivia's house before dark.

Thanks God. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment